Illustrative Module Session Plan - Vasectomy
The session plan summarizes how the resources and documents in the module should be used to achieve the learning objectives. Each section of the session plan addresses a module topic, such as characteristics of the method or medical eligibility. The slides to be shown with each section and appropriate handouts are identified. All of the module materials and resources are listed on the first few pages of each session plan, with links to the module files. The vasectomy (male sterilization) module is divided into seven sessions:
- Session I is on the characteristics of vasectomy and includes key points for providers and clients, effectiveness, mechanism of action, health benefits, side effects, and complications.
- Session II covers the applied anatomy and physiology of the male reproductive organs relevant to vasectomy procedure.
- Session III contains information on who can use vasectomy, medical eligibility for the use of vasectomy, information on screening for contraceptive use, and when a man can have the vasectomy procedure.
- Session IV is on providing vasectomy. It includes a review of when to perform vasectomy, key counseling topics for vasectomy users, correcting rumors and misunderstandings, counseling about side effects, supporting the users, helping the user and managing any problems that may occur during or after the vasectomy procedure, and evaluating participants’ skills on models and supervised clinical practice with clients.
- Session V covers all of the tasks and steps in preparing the client for the procedure and performing the vasectomy. It also includes a demonstration of NSV on models and supervised practice on models and on clients in the clinical area.
- Session VI contains information on emergency preparedness.
- Session VII covers infection prevention procedures related to the vasectomy procedure.
The Illustrative Training Schedule provides a snapshot of the breakdown of the module by day, time, and topic covered.