Progestin-Only Injectable Contraception (Injectables)
Note: This module is under revision to incorporate changes to the WHO Medical Eligibility for Contraceptive Use and Selected Practice Recommendations for Contraceptive Use. We will post an announcement here when the updated module is available. Please consult the revised WHO documents for changes in the interim (see links below).
This module was developed for use in training physicians, nurses, and midwives and other health care providers allowed to provide Progestin-Only Injectable Contraception ("injectables").
- Describe injectables as an effective FP method,
- Counsel and screen clients seeking injectables,
- Respond to rumors and misconceptions about injectables,
- Provide services for injectable clients,
- Recognize and manage common side effects and complications, and
- Provide follow up care for injectable acceptors.
Read the Quick Start guide below, if you haven't already--and then explore the tabs at right to walk through the Facilitator's Guide, illustrative examples, presentation slides, handouts, and more--all of which you are free to adapt for your training participants' needs.
- Quick Start Guide
- WHO Medical Eligibility Criteria (MEC) for Contraceptive Use Executive Summary (5th Edition 2015)
- WHO Medical Eligibility Criteria (MEC) for Contraceptive Use, Fifth edition, 2015
- Family Planning: A Global Handbook for Providers (3rd Edition, 2018)
- Selected Practice Recommendations for Contraceptive Use (3rd edition 2016)