Implants - Family Planning: A Global Handbook for Providers Chapter 8
Key points for Providers and Clients:
- Implants are small flexible rods or capsules that are placed just under the skin of the upper arm.
- Provide long-term pregnancy protection. Very effective for 3 to 7 years, depending on the type of implant, immediately reversible.
- Require specifically trained provider to insert and remove. A woman cannot start or stop implants on her own.
- Little required of the client once implants are in place.
- Bleeding changes are common but not harmful. Typically,prolonged irregular bleeding over the first year, and then lighter, more regular bleeding or infrequent bleeding.